Saturday, February 11, 2012

Valentine's Day...Oh how I hate you

Valentine's Day was supposed to be about one man's struggle.  A man named St. Valentine was imprisoned for his faith in Christ needed a way to communicate with his friends.  So he wrote inspirational notes with Scripture on them and signed them with "From Your Valentine."  Fairly harmless, you would think.  But no, of course Hallmark had to ruin it with turning it into a corporate holiday.  They make tons of money with cards, flowers, balloons, and other silly trinkets.  That's just the beginning.  Think about all the losers with significant others.  Not all of them, I think marriage is a lovely thought.  One day, I'll join the ranks of the betrothed.  However there are some people who are dating other people who just have to rub in the fact that you're not dating someone.  They go out of their way to mock those who are single.  It's really kind of obnoxious.  Like I said, it's not all of them.  Just a few who basically are just happy someone pays attention to them.  They were probably left out or ditched at the prom.  They sat on the wall during the school dance.  However they found someone equally as unattractive and want to make sure that you know that they're taken.  They're usually the ugly girls that hold their man a little tighter when I walk by because they think I'm going to take them from their man right then and there.  Sorry honey, you're not my type.  I like my women with a little more humility.  Truth be told, the ones that have this kind of complex will never have a lasting relationship because they begin to get too big for their britches.  Sorry about the tangent.  I just get so bothered by snottiness and arrogance.  The worst of it is that Valentine's Day takes precedence over my birthday in the minds of a lot of people.  HA!  My birthday is a phenomenon.  To stay 29 years old this long, it's amazing.  My birthday is of the most importance, and the world will know this.  Some of you are saying that I'm displaying arrogance and snottiness right now.  Nope, there's a difference.  I'm telling the truth.  Anyway, if you really want to celebrate Valentine's Day, do nothing.  Then do something special for someone on the other 364, or 365 depending on leap year, days of the year.  How about that?  How about being a sweet to your sweetie because it's Tuesday?  I mean seriously, send your lady flowers with a card that says, "Because it's Tuesday."  Make that girl happy to see you, not happy to get something from you. America, I beg you to show love just because.  Put an end to this corporate holiday.  Please?

No comments:

Post a Comment