Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I Fought the Law...

This next birthday goes back to 2001.  It was my 21st birthday, and I was a junior at Liberty University.  No, I didn't lose my mind drinking various concoctions of alcoholic beverages.  Proud to say that I still have yet to partake in that.  Nothing deep, just don't feel like it.  Anyway, one of my gifts to myself was a trip back to my hometown of North Charleston.  That trip was to see Smackdown at the North Charleston Coliseum.  The Coliseum was minutes from my mom's house, so I got to chill in my own bed for a couple of days.  I decided I would leave the campus just before curfew and drive to my house during the night.  I drove with a fairly limited amount of adventure until I hit that dreaded spot known as the speed trap.  Now if you're not familiar with what a speed trap is, it's basically a spot on a highway where the speed limit drops suddenly and has a police officer set up withing feet of it.  I found that speed trap southbound on I-77 in North Carolina.  About the spot where you enter Mecklenburg County.  Here's the great part, up until then, the worst trouble I'd ever been in was when a police officer in Myrtle Beach said I fit the description of someone who stole something from a Spencer's at the mall.  Of course that description was black guy in blue pants.  I digress, so while I'm driving, I'm seeing flashing lights coming from behind me.  Me being the concerned citizen that I was, I changed lanes so the nice officer could get to the law breaking criminal he was pursuing.  However, the officer was still right behind me.  So I change lanes again.  When I see the officer still behind me, I realized that I was the rapscallion that was needing justice served on him.  So I pull over.  He tells me I was going too fast and wondered why I was swerving lanes so much.  The final verdict was a ticket and an automatic trip to court.  However I do have to say that the court was very nice to me and lowered my charge and I paid a small fine.  I also got a nice tour of Charlotte, North Carolina because I had drive all over kingdom come to find the courthouse because the officer was so sympathetic to my plight of not being from North Carolina.  He simply said, "you'd better leave early so you can find the place."  Thanks for being helpful, officer.  That was the year I learned about humility and not being untouchable.  I never really thought I was untouchable, so this incident actually confirmed it for me.  I'm a safe person now.  I try to respect every law I can.  If I happen to break a law, it was out of ignorance.  The wrestling show was quite fun, truth be told.  I think the best part was Stone Cold Steve Austin beating up everyone...which is pretty much wrestling in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment