Friday, February 24, 2012

Are We Doing It Right?

Before I start what I want to say, I want to share a video with you.  It's from a recent episode of ESPN First Take.  It's a discussion about a quote from Denver Bronco Brady Quinn about his teammate Tim Tebow.  It's fairly long at 22 minutes, but if you want to get to my particular topic, go to the 13:45 point of the video.  After you watch it, scroll down for my reaction.



Alright, you saw it.  Here's my reaction to it.  It's absolutely sickening and maddening that another person would criticize the faith of another person.  It's doubly, maybe even triply maddening that it's a fellow self-professing Christian who is doing this.  Our job as Christians is to go and teach all nations.  It's commonly called The Great Commission.  We are called to share our love for Christ and Christ's love for us everyday.  We are to be fishers of men.  We are to be a lamp on a hill, not under a bushel.  It's sad that Christians have to hide their faith to keep the "embarrassment" down.  Christ says that if you're ashamed of me, He doesn't know you.  That's what's happening in our society.  Too many Christians are ashamed of their love for Christ.  They try to keep themselves looking like the world so they can fit in.  We're not called to fit in.  We're called to stand out.  And now we have fellow Christians telling someone doing what God wants him to do to "tone it down"?  No.  It's not right.  I'm not a perfect Christian.  Sometimes, I screw up royally and bring shame to my Lord's name.  However, I will never deny my Lord.  For another Christian to look at Tim Tebow as a detriment to Christ's name, pity on them.  Before anyone comes at me, I'm not judging.  I just know that if God wants you to share His name, you had better do it.  Tim Tebow has been given a tremendous platform to share Christ with anyone within sight or earshot of him.  He's doing what he's supposed to be doing.  To fault him for that is a terrible sin.  The children's group that I work in on Sunday nights is called AWANA. It stands for Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed.  If Brady Quinn, Kurt Warner, and other people want to tell Tebow to scale it down, their shame to approval ratio isn't where it needs to be.

A huge thank you to Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith for bringing this subject to light on national television.  I'm thankful to them for defining what we as Christians should be doing as Jesus Himself defined it on a worldwide level.


No comments:

Post a Comment