Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Trying Something New

So I have decided to do something I haven't really done before.  I'm observing the 40 day period known as Lent.  Now it's more of a Catholic thing, but it can be done by anyone looking to improve who they are.  It's a time of fasting something of luxury and pleasure.  Some people give up the Internet.  Others give up television.  Some go smaller with certain foods.  I have decided to give up soda for the 40 day period.  Lent is observed from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday.  So basically, I have to avoid sodas for a pretty long time.  I'm sure I can do it, but it's going to take a dependence on God.  That's what Lent is about.  It's a fast.  Fasting is an experience that calls on the believer to rely on God.  God is an integral part of my life.  He guides me and teaches me how to live.  This fast will get me to pray to God for strength.  You really think that not drinking soda would be an easy thing to do.  However, when you've relied on it for a long time to give you energy and wake you up, it's tougher than it looks.  So everyday, I'm going to talk to God.  Ask Him to help me stay awake and alert.  Ask Him to give me the will power to not buy a soda when it's so convenient to do.  Sodas are cheap at the store.  I can get a soda for 75 cents at Kroger.  Sometimes cheaper at other places.  Eddie buys like 5 six packs of soda when he goes shopping.  It's in vending machines everywhere.  Shoot, there's a vending machine at church.  Point being, it's a little harder to avoid than you would imagine.  It comes with a combo at McDonalds.  God is really going to have to be there for me.  He is, but I have to let Him be there, too.  That's a big problem I have at times.  I forget how to let God take charge.  So this Lent season, it's all about me being better at letting God be God in my life.  Pray for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment