Friday, February 10, 2012

Things I Miss About College Part 2

Yesterday I talked about my freshman year of college at the Word of Life Bible Institute.  Today, I'm talking about my last three years of college at Liberty University.  The biggest thing about Liberty was the fact that my curfew went from 6:20pm mandatory study hours at Word of Life to midnight curfew at Liberty.  We who transferred from Word of Life had no idea what to do with those extra 3 or so hours.

1.  Lynchburg was so much bigger than Pottersville.  That's saying something.  It's even bigger now, they even built a walkway over Wards Road.  I remember having to maneuver like a wild man just to get to Wal-Mart.

2. The Dorm War with Dorm 6.  Our dorm, 7-2, won that war fairly easily.  The frozen yogurt that went through their window and onto the tackiest human ever's horrible fashion choices was pretty much the knockout punch.

3.  Pastor Dwayne Carson ripping us a new one after a few of my dorm mates were caught napping during convocation.

4.  The campus police giving us a hard time after we convinced one of the construction workers to hang a banner displaying our love for Pastor Dwayne.  The officer had the nerve to say that he was keeping our sheet for "evidence."  The sheet said, "7-2 LOVES DWAYNE CARSON!"

5.  Calling random dorms and telling them that they're overdue library book Sex Starts in the Kitchen needed to be returned quickly.  That's a real Christian book on a healthy marriage by the way.

6.  Going to Eric Lovett's house to watch Wrestlemania.  Also went with a couple of guys to see Survivor Series in Greensboro.

7.  Strobe Light Night with Andy.  You just had to be there.

8.  My February tradition of the Black History Spotlight.  You've never seen white people so into Black History.

9.  The Atomic Sit Up....yes that happened, to a College for a Weekender...

10.  My roommate's futile attempt to start the first ever "7-2 Sock Night."

11.  Jerry Falwell constantly bullying me.  He punched me, tripped me, and tried to break my fingers.

12.  Constant innovative discussions on youth ministry in Dr. Vandegriff's class.

13.  The kid who ripped a fart within 15 minutes of one of those said discussions about youth group disruptions.

14.  The very excited Liberty football player who proudly proclaimed they were going 12-0.  First play of the football season, East Tennessee State hits a 80 yard bomb for a touchdown to which I then said, 11-1.

15.  The annual tradition of shaking car keys during the singing of  "Sleigh Ride" by one of those Liberty choirs.  I still do that in my car when I hear that song on the radio.

There are a lot of memories about Liberty University.  The rules were tough.  I mean wearing a tie to school was rough on my poor neck.  The curfew didn't bother me because Lynchburg shut down at 9 anyway.  Now it's a little more bustling.  I made many friends.  Some of which I still keep in contact with.  It's been almost 10 years since I graduated from Liberty.  I'm mostly just heavier.  I'm the same guy for the most part.    If any of my Liberty friends, particularly those from 7-2, have any other memories, don't hesitate to make a comment or share this with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment