Tuesday, May 1, 2012

You Wouldn't See This 40 Years Ago

This is not an endorsement for Dodge.  I just wanted to post this video, then talk about it.




I'm sure you're wondering what I'm trying to show in this video.  You see a commercial for a Dodge and think, "It's a Dodge, whoop dee doo."  Congratulations, you've advanced to intelligent life.  Take a peek at the commercial closely, you'll see something that you'd have never seen a few years ago on television.  It's a Caucasian male showing a physical attraction towards his younger sister's African American friend.  Nothing particularly wrong with that.  In fact, it's really a great sign.  Back in the olden days, that kind of thing just didn't happen in commercials, much less in real life.

A long time ago, it was highly taboo to see that kind of thing.  Actually, in some parts of the country (usually the parts that fly Confederate flags and claim some kind of Southern resurgence in the future) it's still highly taboo. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me.  However this kind of thing still exists in America.  It's really something special to see companies like Dodge take a different approach to their commercials by showing this.

In 2006, I was on the Wheel of Fortune.  The Wheel of Fortune is taped in California.  My sister and I toured a good bit of Los Angeles while I was there.  My sister made the comment that it was so weird to see so many interracial couples so proud of their relationship and how open everyone else was to it.  My sister has spent most of her life in South Carolina.  She's seen the complete opposite of what she saw in Los Angeles almost all her life.  My point is, how sad is it that there are people that will condemn others simply for who they choose to date or associate with.  Scientifically speaking, we're all just blessed with melanin or lack thereof.  I actually worked with a guy way back who told me that this is Virginia and no one takes too kindly to that kind of relationship.  I laughed at it and made a wise crack about his daughter checking me out.  If you really want to show how advanced you are, mind your business about who someone is seeing if your reason isn't based on abuse or infidelity.

Kudos to Dodge for taking a risk with this commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment