Tuesday, May 8, 2012

I Miss Old School

I was working with my fella today.  While we were playing many rousing games of Uno, his younger sister was watching television.  I couldn't help but notice that she was watching some shows on Nickelodeon.  Truth be told, the show was terrible.  It wasn't even relatively amusing.  It was like brushing my teeth with sandpaper.  I'm baffled over what Nickelodeon has become.  It used to be so good.  Here are my top ten Nickelodeon shows of all time, in no particular order.

1. All That
Anyone who knows anything about good sketch comedy knows that All That was the show of shows if you were too young to stay up to watch Saturday Night Live or too young to truly get In Living Color.  This show gave us Kenan Thompson, Kel Mitchell, Amanda Bynes, Nick Cannon, and Gabriel Iglesias among others.  I believe the first 2 or 3 seasons were the best.  Good Burger was by far the best sketch.

2.  Doug
The ultimate underdog, Doug Funnie and his dog Pork Chop worked tirelessly to win the heart of Patty Mayonnaise.  Doug was just a cool show.  I'd plan my Saturdays around catching episodes Doug.  Couldn't possibly watch Nickelodeon without Doug.

3.  Legends of the Hidden Temple
Pretty much my favorite game show of all time.  Six teams battle for supremacy in ancient Mayan ruins, all being guided by a talking rock.  You can't make this stuff up.  Who didn't sit there and yell at the television when some poor 11 year old kid couldn't figure out how to put together a three piece puzzle of a monkey?

4.  Double Dare
Before there was a hidden temple, there was Double Dare.  It was a messy, nasty team game where the winning team ran through an obstacle course.  I loved the 1 Ton Human Hamster Wheel and the Sundae Slide the most.  I hated the Blue Plate Special.  No one could find that stupid flag in the peanut butter sandwich.

5.  Finders Keepers
Okay, seriously this was pretty old school.  I loved watching this show.  If you're not aware of it, you had like 60 seconds to find random things in a makeshift house.  I loved the clues and the abstract thinking that came with the show.  It was my kind of show.

6.  Rocko's Modern Life
It's one of the few Nickelodeon shows my mom would watch with me.  A wallaby named Rocko and a cow named Heifer reeked havoc on their crazy neighborhood.  Personally, I loved the Bigheads.

7.  Hey Dude
Yeah that show was the bomb.  A bunch of teenagers working on a dude ranch, instant classic.  I liked Brad more than Melody...kind of a Maryann vs Ginger kind of thing.  Don't get me started on Maryann vs Ginger...anyway, great show.

8.  Salute Your Shorts
Camp Anawanna, we hold you in our hearts...nuff said.

9.  Kenan and Kel
If anyone asks "who loves orange soda?"  and you have no answer...you slept on this show.

10.  Fifteen
The soap opera for teens.  It had the bad boy, the nerd, the jock, and everything in between.  It was kind of like Beverly Hills 90210, without the adult charged stories.

Trust me, Nickelodeon will never get back to what it used to be.  However, every show is basically a bunch of teenagers sparking their music careers.  Sad...what happened to the good shows?

No comments:

Post a Comment