Friday, May 4, 2012

Music Friday

I'm going in two different directions today.  I'm still doing Music Friday, but I'm doing two songs instead of one.  I'll have a story for each song.



We lost a pioneer of hip hop today.  Adam Yauch aka MCA of the Beastie Boys passed away after his battle with cancer.  I pretty feel like The Beastie Boys were the precursor to Vanilla Ice, Eminem, Bubba Sparxxx and other Caucasians in the rap game.  Seems like any Caucasian that embarks on a rap career or embraces hip hop or street culture are automatically pegged as wannabes.  It's kind of frustrating.  Hip hop should never be relegated to a particular type of person.  Hip hop is a wonderful tool to share your life with others.  I do worry sometimes about what's said in hip hop, however it's understandable that it can get pretty gritty.  However I wonder how awesome it would be to see our hip hop artists rhyming about how God has truly blessed him/her with their career and lives.



This song is the personification of using your talent to honor the Lord.  This song is played on secular and Christian stations alike.  My fella that I work with sang this song tonight.  It was such a special moment to hear him sing that song with such passion and heart.  This song is so beautiful to hear.  It brings a hope to the Christian that one day, all their suffering on Earth will be just a means to an end.  The end being our eternal home in glory.  This world is not my home, I'm just a passing through.  Such a beautiful thought.  One day, I'll be done with bills, illness, death, and jerky people.  I will be with my God forever.  I'm not ashamed of that.  I'm proud that I've chosen to serve God with everything I have.  I fail at it, but it's not about falling.  It's about getting back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment