Monday, April 23, 2012

Theater Review

Yeah I don't normally do this, but I'm feeling kind of classy today.  Today our class went to the  Roanoke Performing Arts Center to see Skippyjon Jones.  If anyone has ever read the book, you know how awesome and hilarious it is.  It's even more hilarious when people try to emulate the Hispanic accent.  It's down right gut busting when someone with a southern accent tries to emulate the accent.  If you haven't read the book, it's basically a story about a Siamese cat who secretly thinks he's a chihuahua.  There are a few sequels to the book that I have yet to read, but I hear they're just as funny.

Anyway, this performance was a musical.  Only had five cast members.  I will have to say that it was pretty decent.  It's hard to get a 20 page children's book to last an hour, but this performance did well.  I would give this a 7 on the Ye Ole Tyrone Scale O' Musicals.  The singing was on key, but not overwhelming.  I mean I wasn't expecting Jennifer Hudson or anything, but it wasn't Kelly Osbourne.  The dancing was cute.  The acting was pretty good.  I would definitely recommend it to anyone with kids.  They would really enjoy it.  Parents will laugh along with their kids.

I always enjoy some kids things.  Phineas and Ferb are on the top of my list.  I don't get to catch many episodes anymore because I'm not home to memorize the Disney Channel schedule.  If you really want to make me happy, send me DVD sets of the show.  I'll love you forever.  Same holds true for Animaniacs and Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers.  There's nothing wrong with enjoying somethings that youngsters enjoy.  In fact, we all could learn from kids.  Kids aren't worried about skin color.  Kids don't have prejudice.  They see everyone the same.  They love first, then let the person they love have a chance to let them down.  In fact, I would venture to say that they will love you no matter how badly you hurt them.  Seems like us adults have no idea how to avoid judging and hating.  Forgiveness is something that others have to "earn."  That's not right.  We should love everyone.  We shouldn't judge people based on what they do and who they are.  God said to forgive 70 times 7.  That doesn't mean 490 times total.  That means 490 times for each individual sin.  Basically, that means never stop forgiving people.  We should be like kids in our faith in God, love for people, and reactions to adversity.

Kids are pretty smart, we should give them credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment