Saturday, April 7, 2012

I've Always Wondered

Easter is coming up.  In fact, it's tomorrow.  I don't write my blog on Sundays, so this is the only time I'll really think to address this.  We all know that Easter is the day we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Some of you may not believe that Jesus could do that, and you would be what we Christians call wrong.  Easter is also the most attended day for churches.  It's the day that everyone puts on their nicest clothing and show up to church.  Kind of like that yearly visit with God to see if He still likes them.  He does.  He just wishes you'd visit more often so He can truly bless you like you so desire.  I digress.  It's a mystery to me.  Why do we go all out of our way to dress up for Easter?

Every year I see it.  Little young men in cute suits.  Little girls in their flowery dresses.  Black women in some oversized, gaudy hat equipped with some kind of bow or flower.  It's not stereotyping if it's true, and you all know it's true.  Anyway, we all tend to get a little more gussied up for Easter.  It makes no sense to me.  It's like people say to themselves, "Hmmm, it's Easter and I haven't been to church since last year.  I'd better put on something really nice so God can notice me better."

That's not the best way to go about life.  If you want God to pay attention to you, try paying attention to Him.  Try maybe talking to Him in a prayer.  Try going to His house once a month at least.  It's silly to expect God to notice you when you haven't taken any kind of action all year to show Him that you're interested in what He has for you.  I know I'm coming off preachy, but it's the truth.  Try to be a little more supportive of God.  That way you don't have to come to church once a year and risk being hit by some old guy for sitting in his seat.  That actually used to happen at my old church growing up.  Pops would straight pimp smack you if you sat in his seat.  Easter Sunday was his target practice with his cane.  He kind of looked like Yoda with a light saber.

I don't know why I went off on that tangent.  I could backspace it, but you people need to know the risks of coming to church once a year and sitting somewhere dangerous.  However, worse than that is that it could be the last time you go to church until next Easter.  That's the real painful thing about this.  You sing God Bless America at baseball games, you have "In God We Trust" on our money, yet you can't take the time to visit God more than once or twice a year.  Strange thought processes.

I am so thankful for what Jesus did on the cross, and subsequently three days later in rising from the dead.  His death gives us a chance to live forever.  Every preacher is going to preach that to you when you go to church tomorrow.  Just a heads up.  You're going to learn about why Easter is about Jesus, not eggs and baskets.  That's another thing, who thought eggs, rabbits, and sugary candy would be a good idea to give to a kid with a brand new suit or dress.  Some kid with his Burlington Coat Factory suit and Payless shoes is going to get tons of melted chocolate all over his new suit.  Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment