Friday, April 20, 2012

Music Friday

This song really isn't one of my favorites.  I liked it when I heard it, but it's not overwhelmingly up on my list. Honestly, I think the song is called "Sorry for 2004" because Ruben says "Sorry" about 2004 times.



Now, I'm sure you all have seen the footage of George Zimmerman at his bond hearing.  During the hearing, he took time to apologize to the parents of Trayvon Martin.  However, he threw some excuses into his apology.  He said that he thought Martin was a little younger than him and wasn't sure who he was.  During the phone call to the police, Zimmerman said that he looked like a teenager.  So I think George is a little disingenuous with his apology.

It seems like "sorry" is the go-to word when you do, say, or think something off color.  I just think it's a tough thing to do.  Saying "sorry" is a goodwill gesture, but at what point do you just fix yourself so you don't have to apologize all the time.  It seems like every time there is something terrible that happens in sports or entertainment, the first thing done is a prepared statement of apology.  Whenever a famous person says something offensive on television or in an interview, here comes the "I was misquoted, I'm sorry if I offended anyone."

I just don't think sorry is good enough.  Especially in an age of quick messages and instant gratification.  This Zimmerman case basically tells me that he's not sorry for what happened.  Basically, I think he's just trying to come off looking apologetic when he's really just sorry.  I try not to use "sorry."  I actually use "apologize."  It means more.  I definitely won't say sorry more than 2004 times like Ruben did.





No comments:

Post a Comment