Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Race and Stuff

This whole Trayvon Martin case has really taken the country by storm.  It seems as if this is becoming a racial issue.  Young black boy shot by a not black man because not black man thought young black boy was suspicious.  We've seen this video, heard that tape, and gotten everyone's opinion on the matter.  It seems like it's coming to race.  We really don't want it to come to race, but the fact of the matter is this: we live in a country where people are defined by their race.  It's a sad state of affairs, but it's the world we live in.

I hate when things become racial.  If I could change the world, I'd make everyone a nice shade of beige.  It'd help about 95% of the problems that our country is going through.  The Trayvon Martin case is a sad case of a man who got overzealous, nothing else.  Why he was overzealous, only George Zimmerman can answer.  Although I have to say that the cases of black people being misinterpreted as criminals just because they're wearing functional clothing in the rain is starting to get a little stale.  The fact that people prejudge others is something we need to start to nipping in the bud more.

The fact of the matter is, we are trapped in a racist world until everyone realizes that scientifically speaking, we're all the same color.  We just have different amounts of melanin in our bodies to determine how dark we are.  Some people like to manipulate their amounts of melanin in cancer pods, but hey that's them.  We're all in this together.  As much as people don't want to admit it, we are.  Especially if we're in the body of Christ, color should definitely not matter.

There is also that reverse racism that really annoys me.  I hear it in sports a lot.  Whenever you hear about a Caucasian basketball player who can jump or dunk, the first thing they say is, "He doesn't look like an athlete, but..."  How in the world can a professional anything say something like that?  There's also that whole, "he's an educated black man" talk.  Umm, thanks for the compliment, but just call me an educated man.  The fact that it's some kind of achievement to remember what your 8th grade English teacher told you about double negatives and where to put prepositions is astounding to me.  Stop this madness, people.  Being well spoken and having an opinion that didn't come from a Lil' Wayne song isn't a trophy.  It's the way life should go.

Race is a bother sometimes.  I'm proud of who I am, but I am also proud of who I'm not.  I'm not prejudiced in any way.  I'm not hateful in any way.  I'm happy to be the person that God has made me.  I don't see color.  Color, or lack thereof, is what makes us beautiful.  It does NOT make us educated, criminal, or athletic.  Please try to be better about that kind of thing.  Change was the rally cry of our President's campaign.  You may not agree with his policies, but you can't deny that change is needed by us if we're to succeed in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment