Monday, March 5, 2012

This is Getting Ridiculous

Okay, so I'm a fan of food.  I love food.  I think food is a great way to keep myself sustained.  I'm also a big fan of America.  America is the greatest country in the world.  You can complain all you want, but if you don't like it, leave.  However America's love for food has become a bit of an epidemic.  Let me explain.  There are tons of people who love that Paula Dean lady.  She's the one who puts a pound of butter into coffee.  There's also that movie Soul Food about the old lady who had humongous family get togethers where they ate tons of horrible foot.  The old lady eventually dies from heart failure.  The rest of the family honors her by eating the same food that just killed her.  We have Rachael Ray (who I think is adorable and should be my future wife), Guy Fieri, and others who show us great recipes and stuff.  America loves food.  Our food love is, however, is overtaking our common sense.

I'm sure you all saw that movie Super Size Me.  I'll condense it: man plans to eat nothing but McDonald's for a month; man must say yes when asked to super size; man becomes almost deathly ill because of this diet.  It's a crazy thing to think that something so great can be so deadly.  In fact, it was so bad that the man actually found a McDonald's that delivered.  That's right, you can get a Big Mac to come to your door.  Burger King is doing the same thing now in Northern Virginia.  How insane is it that fast food is now able to come to you?  Drive-thru is bad enough, but to actually not have to leave your house or the office for fast food?  I can almost hear America getting fatter by the minute.  Oh but it gets worse.

There is a gourmet cupcake shop called Sprinkles based in California that is actually doing Cupcake ATMs. Yes, you read that right, ATMs that give you cupcakes.
The Sprinkles cupcake ATM, set to open in Beverly Hills.
Sprinkles Cupcake ATM

I don't know about you, but the fact that people can now buy $4 cupcakes with an ATM card is scary.  People don't even have to wait inside the shop.  They can just run to this little machine, put in a credit or debit card, and get a cupcake.  Now apparently they take the time to bake it in the machine.  It's kind of like an Easy-Bake Oven type machine.  

America is making it easier and easier to be deathly ill and diabetic.  What happened to the days when you would try to be healthy?  My friend told me that Planet Fitness has pizza parties.  That just boggles my mind.  How in the world can a gym, a place where health is promoted, have pizza party in the place?  It's just crazy how we whine and complain and sue places for our bad health, yet are the first ones in line for all the new fads, inventions, and McRib Farewell Tours.  Not fair.  We have to take a stand and start being a little more proactive.  I'm personally giving up soda for the Lent season, but I feel so great that I'm possibly thinking of giving up soda forever.  Or at the very least, do soda once a month as a reward for being smart with my body.

Dear friends, I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.  I'm just going to say, be smart folks.  Don't let every fad get in the way of your common sense.  I'm going to work my tail off to be better at eating.  If enough people do it, these fast food chains and cupcake pimps can see that we're not interested in being disgusting slobs anymore.  

That also means that I have to stop heckling Biggest Loser contestants while eating Whoppers.

2 comments:

  1. You know I never cared for fast food. Rather eat a real meal. Meat, taters and veggies. Love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's ameeeeeerica.

    and i used to have an easy bake oven! ;)

    ReplyDelete