Thursday, March 8, 2012

Humanitarianism and Tyrone

I posted on my Facebook this morning about the whole Kony 2012 fad that's happening on my facebook news feed.  I know fad probably isn't the proper vernacular for this, however considering America's infatuation with finding a "Cause of the Month,"  I think this it is the best jargon to use.  It seems like we always find some bandwagon to jump onto all the time.  Now I don't mind having a heart for something.  I just question why our heart changes every time someone famous speaks about something.

If you're not aware of Joseph Kony, he's the leader of the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda that is responsible for kidnapping children.  The boys are brainwashed into becoming soldiers, and the girls are turned into sex slaves.  It's a horrible thing that this man is doing.  However this has been happening for years.  He's been around since 1986, and you're just now wanting to do something about it because you clicked something on your facebook account?

I'm sorry if I sound insensitive, but it seems like way too many people are doing things because it's trendy as opposed to because it's right.  I want nothing more than to see people who hurt children to be put away.  I want that Sandusky guy from Penn State (remember him?) gone.  I cheer for Steve Wilkos when he catches child predators on lie detector tests.  I pine for more episodes of To Catch a Predator where they catch those online predators trying to lure little girls and boys to do horrible things.  However, I can't help but wonder how long this Kony 2012 phenomenon will last.  Will people continue to be talking about Joseph Kony's horrible war crimes in a year?  What about a 6 months?  I'm not even sure this will last one month given how fickle we are when it comes to things like this.

There are some great causes and things we can do to prove our humanitarianism.  It starts at your own house.  Be nice to your family or housemates.  I mean, honestly, when was the last time you talked to someone just to talk?  How about not complaining about the less than happy waitress you get at a restaurant?  You ever ask them why they're upset?  I doubt it.  Yet, you want me to throw money that I don't have into a charity that I know nothing about.  That's not very humanitarian of you to make me more broke than I already am.

Please don't call me heartless for this opinion.  Anyone who knows me knows my heart and how I feel about many things.  People know how much I love children and care for them.  So, no I don't want to hear about me being heartless and not caring.  I do care.  However I just want you to know that I don't just willy nilly jump into a Facebook trend.  No one should do that.  Start by praying for those children, being a good role model for the children in your life, and just having a respectful attitude towards others.  That's being a great humanitarian.


No comments:

Post a Comment