Friday, March 9, 2012

Pain and Exhaustion

Sometimes I wonder why I'm so tired at the end of work.  I wonder why I walk a little slower at the end of the day.  It's pretty simple, really.  God invented pain and exhaustion for us.  He did it so that we know when we're at our limits.  He did it so that we can have an idea as to when we should stop and sit down.  Rest is an important part of our lives.  When you neglect rest, you're telling God that His ideas aren't good enough for you.

I watch a lot of my friends and family wear themselves out and work themselves to the bone.  Nothing wrong with working hard.  I value hard work over a lot of things in life.  If you want to play hard, you have to work hard so you can afford it.  I just think that sometimes, they forget that when they're tired, they're in need of rest.  Some people have this idea that rest is for weaklings.  That's foolishness.  Rest is what refreshes our body.  Rest is what gives us the ability to go back a day or two later better than ever.  Rest allows you to give your absolute best in everything that you do.

I wonder when was the last time you just sat down and rested.  When was the last time you took time for yourself.  Not in a selfish, me-time kind of way.  I'm just talking about giving your body the proper rest and relaxation it needs to be fully effective.  Fully effective people are better at their jobs.  They are better at their relationships.  They are better at their service to both God and mankind.  Take time to rest.  Take the time to refresh yourself and recharge your batteries.  It's unfair to those who you work for.  It's even more unfair to those you love.  Give yourself the time to bring yourself back to where you need to be.  You at your best is the best thing for anyone and anything you're involved in or with.


1 comment: