Saturday, June 16, 2012

Open Letter Saturday

I kind of liked the "open letter" format I did last week.  It's a chance for me to tell someone or something my feelings about them. They could be good, they could be bad.  I guess it depends on who you are and how you feel.

Open Letter to Fathers and Kids:

It's going to be Fathers' Day tomorrow.  It's a chance for your kids to show them their appreciation for all you've done for them.  It's a chance for your kids to tell you they really love you.  Maybe they'll buy you a nice watch or a make you a hearty dinner.  That's all well and good.  Except for one thing.  A lot of you aren't there.

Everyday, I hear stories of fathers who aren't really doing what they need to do.  They aren't seeing their children.  They don't have any contact with their kids.  Not just when they're young, but now.  I understand that it's tough being a dad.  Especially now with teenagers having kids at alarming rates, it's tough to be a dad.  I understand that.  But if you're mature enough to take the pleasure of making a child, you should take pleasure in caring for the child.

I lost my dad at a very early age.  It was tough for me to see and hear about other kids hanging out and playing with their dads.  However, it was even tough to hear about kids who didn't have their dads around because their dad chose not to be there.  It hurt even worse when I hear good fathers get trashed by their kids because they got the wrong color Hot Wheels.

If you are fortunate enough to be a dad, be there for your kids.  Love them.  Call them.  Talk to them and give them advice.  Share your wisdom with your kids.

If have a dad, talk to him.  He's smart.  He's been through some things.  If you happen to have a neglectful dad who really didn't earn your love, love him anyway.  The worst thing you can do is hold a grudge.  Holding grudges means nothing.  He's sleeping at night while you're miserable.  It's not fair.  So forgive and relieve your stress.  Erase your hate of him and just love him.  Trust me when I tell you that you'll feel a lot better and sleep a lot easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment