Saturday, January 7, 2012

We've got a long way to go

There have been so much progress in terms of race in America.  We think of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation during the Civil War Era.  We think of the Civil Rights Movement with Martin Luther King Jr and many others.  We think of the hiring of black coaches in college and professional sports.  However I can't help but wonder if we've really made headway.  It's not just a white people holding down black people kind of thing either.  Black people, sad to say, have been just as instrumental in the lack of headway.  In specific terms, I think of how quickly blacks are apt to mock one of their own for wanting to go to college, get good grades, work, or heaven forbid, use proper grammar.  White people aren't innocent in holding themselves down either. I don't know how many times a Caucasian is dressed in less than fashionable clothing and referred to as "white trash" or "trailer trash."  To call any person trash is ridiculously classless.  I question whether we've truly made an effort to improve race relations.  We can't say that we have when we can't even stop being racist towards ourselves.  I came across a video that I think the world should look at.  It concerns one of my favorite human beings on the planet and the backlash he gets on a constant basis.  This particular mindset had crossed my mind, however I didn't think anyone else noticed it.  I'll elaborate after:


Let me preface that I think very highly of Tim Tebow, and I believe that he is going to be a great player in the NFL.  However he has been given a lot more rope than a lot of quarterbacks that are pretty much exactly like him except that their black.  That's a deep video from the eyes of a man who lived through some pretty harsh times.  I agree with Kordell Stewart in that there seemed to be a lot more chances given to Caucasian quarterbacks as opposed to African-American quarterbacks in the NFL.  Now yes a lot of them have washed out and proven themselves to be lazy and not worthy of being in the league.  However it is very prevalent that some of the better African-American quarterbacks have been sent away completely for no really good explanation.   I can see the hurt in Kordell's eyes because as good as he was, he wasn't given a fair shake to prove himself.  My take is simple, there is so much racism everywhere, it sickens me.  Racism is the fault of pretty much anyone who doesn't do anything about it.  If you even think of someone as less than you, you're being racist, whether they're a different color or not.  With Martin Luther King Jr Day coming up, let's make a small attempt to respect everyone.  Make a small attempt to erase stigmas.  Be happy for someone who gets into college.  If someone is dressed less than fashionable, maybe they can't afford better clothes.  Buy them some nice clothes if it's so important to you that everyone in your race be fashion conscious.  If someone uses better grammar than you, try reading a book so you can communicate instead of calling him disparaging names.  If a guy makes money by getting a job, don't call him a sell out.  Ask him if there are any openings.  

Sorry all my blogs have been about some kind of sports thing lately, but sports is an easy way for me to get my opinions out.  I'll try to find better examples of my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment