Sunday, January 15, 2012

How thankful are we?

Around the Christmas holiday, I came across a facebook post about some tweets (I think that's what you call them) by kids and their Christmas presents.  What I read was shocking.  There were posts about how parents were so stupid for not getting them a white iPod instead of black.  One girl complained that she wanted a car AND an iPhone and not just a car.  One child was mad that they got a BMW and not a Mercedes.  It absolutely made me want to puke.  To see the ungratefulness of children over colors of music players, types of 30 thousand dollar cars, and the exclusion of high dollar items in addition to other high dollar items.  I really wish I had the parents' email addresses and could mail these posts to them.  Let them see that their money went in vain.  If I were their parent, first of all you wouldn't get half that junk from me anyway.  However hypothetically speaking, if I were their parent, they would lose everything but their mattress.  They'd have to come to me for ANYTHING.  I'd actually consider making their toilet and showers coin operated so that they really understand that nothing should be taken for granted.  There is so much ungratefulness in this world today.  There are so many things that we have that we don't deserve.  There is nothing on this planet that I am entitled to outside of fresh air, and that's getting pretty scarce too.  What happened to, "wow, thanks mom"?  Where is the, "I'm happy to have this"?  It's gone.  It's been replaced with, "I deserve more, more, more!"  I urge people who are in positions to give and take, basically parents, to teach your kids some thankfulness.  Show them what it could be like.  Take them to a homeless shelter or a soup kitchen.  Share with them what you did to obtain the things you have in life.  Growing up, I didn't have everything I wanted, I had everything I needed.  I'm so thankful that my mom told me, in her own way, what she went through growing up.  I'm even more thankful for my grandparents telling me what they used to do growing up.  My grandfather's stories of working hard, and getting fired a lot as a kid, showed me that nothing is permanent.  I should always work hard.  I could work harder in life, I'm sure.  No one is perfect in that regard.  I do think that there is a serious lack of gratefulness.  If there are kids reading this, thank your parents for what you have.  Give them a hug and say, "you know what mom, dad, you're great.  Thanks."  It can't hurt to show a little thanks for all you have.  Oh gosh, someone please find the email addresses of thos ungrateful kids' parents.  I'm begging you to let me have like 10 minutes with all the stuff they're NOT happy about.  I'll put a blowtorch to it all and make snow angels in the ashes while they cry and probably swear at me.  You folks know I'll do it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment