Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday Top Ten

I hope all of you have had a great Labor Day.  I did, mostly because I spent it watching Macho Man Randy Savage on WWE Classics on Demand for a majority of the day.  I figured this week's top ten will be my list of my favorite things about football season.

10.  Food
I tend to step my food game up around football season.  Not sure why, but it tends to bring out the best in my cooking, and in some cases my eating.  My food of choice, chicken wings.

9.  Liberty Football
When I was in college at Liberty, our football team was terrible.  I don't think our football team won 10 games combined in the three years I went there.  Now, I tend to check out many Liberty games on ESPN3.com.  It's fun to see my old college consistently win 9 or 10 games a year.  I still believe Liberty is the best football team in Virginia.

8.  Messing With Hokie Fans
I don't know why, and I don't know how it started, but I love giving Virginia Tech fans a hard time, particularly on Facebook.  When I moved from Charleston, SC to Roanoke, VA, I was exposed to what I feel is an unhealthy fandom of said team.  Mostly because the fans have a terribly bad habit of expecting more out of their team than they actually have.  I think they were spoiled by that one year they went to the National Championship game with Michael Vick.  I do think the Hokies are a very good football team.  However, God's gift to football is not one of the titles I'd give them.

7.  High School Football
Pretty fun to hear about these kids doing awesome things.  I haven't seen a high school game in a while, but I do want to go to some games this season.  I do have an issue with some of the expectations and pressure we put on these kids.  They're just kids.  Let them play and have fun.  Stop living your life vicariously through a sophomore with pimples.

6.  Alone Time
When I'm watching football, most of the time, people leave me alone.  I love it.  My mom knows that there are times where I want to just watch my game and be left to my own devices.  Most of my people know that I can watch a football game alone and enjoy it a lot more than with friends.

5.  Recall Button
Some people call it the jump button, others call it the previous channel button.  Point being, it jumps from one channel to the next, which means I don't have to waste time on commercials.  Also means I don't have to listen to terrible announcers.  I'm looking at you Joe Buck and Jim Nantz...

4.  Lee Corso
If you're not sure who he is, he's the old guy who puts mascot heads on to choose which team he believes will win a game.  He's also one of the most knowledgeable people about football on the planet.  Seems like the older a commentator is, the more I respect them.

3.  South Carolina Gamecocks Football
I remember the day I learned about Gamecock football.  I had just moved from NYC to Charleston.  I was about 9 years old.  I was going to the bathroom when another kid asked me who I thought would win between Clemson and Carolina.  I asked who they were and what were they playing.  They said football.  I said Carolina.  I decided I'd follow the team I said would win.  Been following them ever since.  So proud of their recent success.

2.  Green Bay Packers
You'd think they'd be number one.  Sorry, there is one thing just a tad better to me.  Anyway, been a Packers fan since the days of Brett Favre.  Now with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, they're just as impressive. I know we can't win every game, but I do know that we can be competitive all the time.  

1.  My Cheesehead
Yeah, I keep my cheesehead right next to me during football games.  I love my cheesehead.  It's the coolest thing in the world.  It sits next to me during any Packers game.  I'll wear it in public.  I wore it to school the day after the Packers won the Super Bowl.  I ran around my neighborhood with it on that very night.  I think I may wear my cheesehead during my wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment