Monday, August 23, 2010

I Missed the Memo

Okay, so today was the first day of school.  Of course it was filled with the usual crazy hi jinks of people not knowing what in the world is going on.  Kids came in with their fresh new backpacks, sharpened pencils, and new notebooks.  Kindergartners looked as lost as ever as they tried to find the perfect seat in the lunchroom.  Overall, it was a pretty good day.  The only thing we need to discuss is the fashion show that occurs.  Not amongst the kids.  That's normal.  Every year kids get maybe a week's worth of brand new clothes and just rock them like crazy.  Then it's back to the same old, same old for the rest of the year, save for Christmas clothes and maybe an Easter outfit.  But what I want to talk about is the fashion statements by the adults.  Today at school, I saw some teachers just going full bore.  Some had on some fly high heel shoes.  Some had on some shorter than usual skirts (not revealing or inappropriate, just more leg than most of my teachers ever showed).  Now don't think of this as me being jealous.  Not the case at all.  I just happen to work in a room in school where sensible shoes and business casual attire makes more sense.  Believe me, if I were in a typical classroom, I'd out dress everybody.  I mean I'm the guy that was on Wheel of Fortune looking fly in an outfit that didn't cost more than 50 bucks total (Goodwill Shoppers UNITE, but for a limited time only).  People always seem to want to put their best foot forward on the first day of school.  It also applies to the first day of the week for church.  I remember in the church I went to in New York, they actually made the parishioners walk to the front to put their offering envelope in the giant basket.  Now they may say that it was for the offering, but I think it was all just to get a fashion show going.  The ladies would strut like nobody's business with their fancy hats and dresses.  I was just waiting for the day that the Pastor would start doing commentary, "Here's Sister Mabel with her royal purple dress.  Notice her wonderful accompaniment of 2 inch heels, totally ignoring the corns on her toes and the major blister on her heel.  Her hat is tilted just to the left enough to give her vision to put her check in the basket."  We tend to put our best foot forward in every first.  First date, got to look fly.  First time at a particular club or restaurant, have to make it look like you've been there before.  Movie premieres always have people discussing their outfits to Joan Rivers.  Why can't we put our best foot forward everyday?  I know the reason I can't, I can't afford it.  But besides that, I think it behooves us to attempt to put out our best efforts everyday.  Nothing wrong with being well equipped for anything.  However, next time the school decides to have dress up day, call me.  I can at least slip on a clip-on tie and clean my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment