Friday, August 6, 2010

Dream Sports Trip Needs Frequent Flyer Miles

People often ask me how I'm a fan of the teams I like.  I was born in New York City.  So one would wonder if I'm a fan of all the Yankees or Mets, Giants or Jets, Rangers or Islanders, or the Knicks.  Actually, no not really.  I grew up a majority of my life in South Carolina, so maybe I should like the Panthers or Falcons, Braves, or the Hawks.  Nope, can't say that either.  My favorite teams are as follows:  Green Bay Packers, Oklahoma City Thunder, and the Chicago White Sox.  I was a fan of the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes, but the NHL lockout kind of bothered me and I lost all touch with that.  Plus they changed their logo and it upset me.  My undying love for the Packers started when I first saw Brett Favre.  Kid came into the game for an injured Don Majkowski and never looked back.  People always ask if I'm bitter over Brett retiring and changing his mind all the time.  Not really.  When you've done nothing but football since middle school, it's hard to say, "okay I'll stop now."  I can understand the frustration; it's hard to let go of something.  Now don't get me wrong, when he brings the Vikings to town I wish death upon him.  But that's because he's a Viking, nothing more.  When he gets inducted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, I will be in Canton, Ohio.  My friend Adrienne better have a room for me to sleep in when I get to Ohio.  Green Bay's history in football is so awesome.  That is my true dream, to go to a game at Lambeau Field (not Lambert, John Kerry).  When I saw them win the Super Bowl in 1997, there was a tear in my eye.  All my Cowboys fan friends were pretty ticked.  I cried even more when we lost the following Super Bowl to the Broncos.  The White Sox are a different story.  I kind of found them on accident.  I was 9 years old, just moved to South Carolina, and Mom decided not to hog the cable all to herself in her bedroom like she did in New York.  I'm not bitter, I promise.  Well, I saw WGN and baseball was on and I caught the White Sox on a rare day.  Usually they suck up to the Cubs and make my day miserable.  The White Sox caps were cool among black kids, mostly because of NWA (the rap group, not the wrestling organization).  Oklahoma City Thunder are a new team, but they came from my original favorite team, the Seattle SuperSonics.  They had one of the coolest teams ever.  Had Gary Payton, who could defend anyone and pass through a keyhole.  They had the most powerful, high flying dunker I've ever seen in Shawn Kemp.  Here are some highlights.  You know how hard it is to find one of these videos without swear words?  Appreciate me please.



I wasn't as upset with the team moving to Oklahoma City, as others.  I've never been to Seattle and from all accounts, I hear it's too rainy anyway.  I'm very excited about the massive improvement they made from their last year in Seattle to this past season.  If they hadn't faced the record breaking Chicago Bulls in 1996, they would have totally won the NBA title.  Point being, I don't know how I can have such a diverse set of favorite teams.  Maybe that's just who I am, give every region a chance.  Maybe I'll be a big fan of Brazilian wrestling and Sri Lankan water polo next.

When you get a chance, check out my boy, Joe doing his thing on bleacherreport.com.  He's a good guy and loves sports like Lindsay Lohan loves cheating the justice system.  Oooh, I think I found tomorrow's blog topic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment