Monday, November 5, 2012

Am I Better Off?

When driving to work, I often drive through a neighborhood.  In that neighborhood is a yard with a sign.  The sign says "Are You REALLY Better Off Than You Were Four Years Ago?"  Now, I have to explain my life four years ago.

In the beginning of 2008, I was a youth pastor at a local church.  I was enjoying my job, however, I was having a hard time keeping up with my healthy ambitions.  Along with being a youth pastor, I was also working at the YMCA every night until almost 9 at night.  I also did subsititute teaching for Roanoke County Schools.  With all that work I was doing, I was losing focus on my ministry.  I wasn't where God wanted me.

Fast forward to about September of 2008.  I got a job working in the Autism Program in Roanoke County.  That's where I felt the Good Lord calling me to be in Special Education as a teacher.  I became truly enamored in what I was doing.  I also joined a new church.  I truly believe I'm in the best church I've ever been in.  I have a hard time seeing any church like I see my church.  I feel blessed and grateful to be asked to do anything involving ministry at this church.  I never felt that way anywhere else, including where I was youth pastoring.

Fast Forward to now.  I am on my fifth year in the County.  I have normal roommates...well as normal as I can ask for from Craigslist.  I have some of the best friends a guy could ask for.  God has blessed me beyond my wildest dreams.

Basically, I am better off than I was four years ago.  Here's the catch.  None of this was President Obama's fault.  This was by the grace of God and my accepting of God's blessings.  Obama had nothing to do with anything God has blessed me with.  I also don't believe Mitt Romney will do anything to help or hurt my blessings from God.  God is going to bless me if I do everything to show Him honor.  It doesn't matter who I vote for, God will bless His people.  It may not be financially, but blessings are blessings no matter what.

As you all go to the polls and vote, don't look to the person you're voting for help.  They aren't there to help you.  They are there to make their lobbyists and major donors happy.  If you just happen to get something, it's because God blessed you.  Remember that in the end, God is in control.  Also, if someone votes differently than you, get over it.  It doesn't mean anything other than they have different thoughts on how the country should be run.


No comments:

Post a Comment