Friday, December 14, 2012

A Bigger Problem

I'm sure that you all have heard about what happened today in Connecticut.  My heartfelt condolences go out to all the families of the victims.  I can honestly say that this is the worst tragedy in the history of America.  When you involve children in your victim list, you are by far the worst of the worst.  And make no mistake about it, if you have to use a gun to solve your problems, you're a coward.  I'm not talking about self defense from a crook threatening your family, I'm talking about you having a personal issue with someone and using a gun to end it as opposed to talking it out like a human being.  If you involve children in your issues, whether it's a mass murder or a custody battle, you're a coward, plain and simple.  To want to hurt a child, you're a special kind of coward.

Now I'll address one thing real quick because it won't take long.  Controlling guns is a good idea in theory, but the people that do the bad things with guns are criminals.  Criminals don't follow any laws, much less tighter gun laws.  I do believe in a better, more comprehensive check into who should be allowed to purchase a gun.  I think gun shows should be revamped so that not just any person can buy any gun at any time.  There should be some regulations.  If we have to take a test to get a driver's license, we should have something in place to be sure that the people buying guns are competent enough to use said gun.  I do believe in our right to bare arms, but I also believe in my right to survive life without a nutjob trying to hurt me.

Mental health, speaking of, is a big issue too.  Probably a bigger issue than gun laws.  Every kind of serial killer or mass murderer all have mental illness.  You have to have some kind of mental illness to want to hurt innocent children.  Where was this guy's family?  How did they not know that this guy would do these terrible things?  I mean, mental illness doesn't just sneak up on you.  There are warning signs.  How can the warning signs not be seen?  We have got to be vigilant in keeping tabs on our loved ones.  If you know that someone you love isn't right, say something.  Get them checked out.  I've seen people with mental illness, and been extremely close to some.  I ignored the signs.  Don't ignore them.

People are asking a lot of questions.  Why did this happen?  How could this happen?  What is happening to our country?  Look, I honestly don't know what to say at times.  I do know this.  God needs to be back in our lives.  Yeah, yeah, if God were here, He wouldn't allow this kind of thing to happen.  I know.  However, when you tell God to stay out, God is a gentleman.  He'll stay out.  You can't ignore God, then ask why He didn't help.  However, we also have to realize that Christians are pretty sinful as well.  We Christians really shouldn't be telling people what to do.  We fail miserably at times.  Ask Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart.  Point being, God in our lives can help a lot.

The big problem in our lives is sin.  Gun control laws and mental health screenings are nothing more than a band-aid.  We are a screwed up group of humans.  We don't even think twice about sharing dirty jokes, gossiping about other people, or having hateful words for people who sin differently than us.  Make no mistake about it, the guy who committed the senseless murders in Connecticut is a sick man who obviously didn't know how to deal with his issues with his mother.  However, we can't just make more laws.  We need to just do what God would like us to do.

God wants us to love Him, and love others.  It's not that hard.  We do that, I'm pretty sure we can be a better behaved set of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment