Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Here we go again...



So apparently this commercial has caused a lot of issues.  There is a healthy amount of people, and by healthy I mean an amount larger than 1000, that believe that this commercial is awful simply because the family is interracial  Considering that scientifically speaking there is only one race, it's more like the family has differing amounts of melanin in their systems.  However for the sake of this blog and the controversy, we'll just go with different races.

Anyway, I wonder why people have such a problem with interracial relationships and families.  What is the big deal with someone dating someone that isn't a match?  In particular, why do people avoid the interracial relationship for themselves?  I've kind of narrowed it down to five reasons.  The first four can be fixed with a little open mindedness and introspection.  The fifth, well there's really no hope, but you'll figure that out when you read it.  Anyway, here we go.  And if you're one of those that had a problem with said commercial, maybe you should figure out your hang ups and try to fix them.

1.  No Opportunity
Sometimes you just don't get the opportunity.  You have nothing against it, you just haven't met anyone in that category.  And that's cool.  Some people live in neighborhoods where it's not possible to do so.  Sometimes, you meet that childhood sweetheart and don't even bother to play the field.  Nothing wrong with that.  Maybe the opportunity will come for you and you'll see that they're not all that bad.

2. Not Your Preference
You don't have anything against it, but you like your future husband or wife to have certain traits that quite frankly aren't possible with other races.  I mean I guess it's possible, but you'd need surgery, hair dye, contacts, and drugs to accomplish it, see Michael Jackson.  You don't have anything against it for anyone else, but you don't find that particular side of the melanin scale.  If you're wondering, Asian women aren't really my thing.  However if I find that particular future wife and she happens to be Asian, I'm not going to complain.  God has a sense of humor, I'm used to it.

3.  Family Issues
You may not have an issue with it, but you're deathly afraid of being disowned by your family.  I totally understand.  Family is important.  They shaped and molded you into who you are today.  However, there has to come a point where you make a decision.  You have to decide if your happiness is less or more important than your family.  And trust me on this, if your family has issues with who God may have for you, God will set you up anyway.  I've been in that situation where the family wasn't a fan.  Once I realized that that person was more interested in keeping their family happy than keeping themselves happy, I eliminated that person.  At some point, you became a grown up.  Time to make grown up decisions without fear of consequence.

4. Biblical Reasons
Now it gets dicey.  There are verses and passages that tell the Jewish people to avoid other nations and races.  However, we have to remember that the Jewish people back then were quite gullible to other religions and forgetting God's grace and word.  This doesn't apply to us Gentiles, or anyone really.  God really doesn't have an issue with two Christians being together, even they're different colors.  So once you realize that it's not a sin and it's okay, you're good again.

5. Inferiority
This is the reason that I believe is hardest to get over.  Once you believe that any race is inferior, you're pretty much not going to change.  You have to really think about your thoughts on other people going forward.  When you see a commercial with an interracial family, you first ask "what's that doing with that?"  That's not a good look.  Point being, thinking anyone is inferior is terrible.  You need to work on that.  You're not that perfect, so stop thinking that.

I've thought about this thing for a while.  I used to just think that people who were against it were just racist, bigoted, ignorant folks.  However, I've had to adjust my thinking.  There are reasons things like that happen, and it's not just people being against me or others.  I've had to humble myself to the fact that people have extenuating circumstances.

It's time we as Americans realize that people that aren't like you and me exist.  We also have to realize that people that don't look like you or me date each other.  We also have to realize that sometimes, they have kids together.  They also get married.  They live long, happy, healthy lives.  And their kids are great looking, for what it's worth.  It's time we stop fussing and complaining and start accepting.  Like I said, nothing illegal is happening, so whatever.

I'm open to discussion, friendly banter, and what not.  If you feel like giving me your side, feel free.  I enjoy it.  I embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment