Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Future

Today was my birthday.  It was a good birthday.  Actually, I'll say it was great.  It started with getting a Burger King crown.  They aren't gold anymore.  They have cartoon children on them.  I swear one of those kids had hipster glasses.  Anyway, I wore my crown almost all day at work.  I felt like a king.  I don't know why I like Burger King crowns; they're just fun I guess.

After that I went to one of my past basketball players junior varsity games.  I saw 5 of my former players in varsity or junior varsity basketball.  It was amazing to see.  I have to say that I'm extremely proud of those girls.  They have grown up to be great talents and even better people.

That's what I want to talk about.  It seems like I've realized just how big of an impact I have on this planet.  Not saying I'm something to be revered or worshiped, however I do believe that I have a responsibility to make this place better than when I got here.  It's not just me, it's everyone.  We have a responsibility to help our children be able to fend for themselves at some point in their lives.  People always say it's the parents' job, and it is.  However, I also believe that we as adults have a job to pick up where the parents can't.  For every deadbeat parent, there are a slew of good parents out there that do a tremendous job raising their children.  But, they still need our help.  All of us have a responsibility to make sure that all the bases are covered.

We need to be an example to the kids out there.  We have to show them how to do this.  I often ask myself if I'm doing it right.  However, after tonight, there is no doubt that the kids I saw will be alright in the future.  We have a long way to go before I'm totally confident, but if we as people work together, we can make this planet a better place.    

However, for now, I'm saying Happy Birthday to me.  Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment