Sunday, October 17, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

I know it's been a while since I last posted a blog, but nothing's really been on my mind lately.  That is until this weekend.  There seems to be some sort of idea that Obama may start taking steps (if he hasn't already) to repeal the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy in the military.  For those not familiar with it, it basically states that if a homosexual joins the military, his fellow soldiers cannot ask him if he/she prefers the same gender and they don't have to tell you if it is asked.  Basically, it's to keep homosexuals from being harassed and mocked by their fellow soldiers.  Now I have to say this before I get started, if a person feels compelled to join the military no matter their race, gender, sexual preference, shoe size, favorite television show, or any other thing that could be ridiculed, that is their business.  In fact, I salute you for making that ultimate sacrifice to defend my country.  I don't think that a person who loves their country should feel compelled to not join for fear of ridicule.  Those that mock others have no business joining the military.  In fact, you should be ashamed of yourself because those that you mock are the people you are defending.  If you can't respect someone enough to respect them for who they are and what their choices might be, then I suggest not defending my country, because you certainly don't love my country.  My country is full of every kind of person imaginable.  To mock one aspect of my country is to mock all of my country.  Jerry Springer has a point when he says that people on his show are America, better or worse, they are America.  Now, to the homosexual people out there.  Like I said, I respect you for wanting to honor my country.  I respect you for wanting to be a part of the greatest fighting force in the history of the world.  However, although a lot of people read my blog, not enough have influence to change an entire culture.  If DADT gets repealed, that gives those with no class or ethics free range to harass you.  Do you really want that?  I mean, you can go and report them to a commanding officer, but you're taking a risk of being considered a snitch or a crybaby.  That in turn gives those people more ammunition to mess with you more.  Look, I know you're not going to prance on the battlefields with a tutu or kiss the first thing you see in a shower.  However, you are going to give some people the creeps.  Those people aren't nearly as intelligent as need be to handle that kind of thing.  And what about a commanding officer.  If they find out that there are a few homosexuals, you may find yourself in more peril than you bargained for.  They may throw you on the front lines like they did to the black people on South Park.  I know that's a television show, but work with me here.  Point being, you're asking for a whole heap of trouble when you ask for people to change their entire philosophy overnight.  It takes a little time and education to understand what you're thinking or going through.  Now I know that you'll give me examples of some military people who are accepting, but I'm not talking about some.  I'm talking about the culture.  You will be offended by conversation.  And if they are in fear of talking because you're in the room, welcome to the isolated life.  Like I said, I have no problem with you wanting to fight for my country.  I love America and want everyone within its borders to love it too.  However, you're asking for a lot of people to do a heavy thing simply because you're not comfortable.  I don't drink.  However if I go to a baseball stadium and raise holy heck because there's beer being served, what does that do to me?  I'll get pelted with items, including the beer I don't drink, and ran out of the stadium.  I can't tell an entire baseball stadium to stop drinking because I don't do it.  I simply sit down, watch the game, and outsmart the drunk people for foul balls.  So maybe you should think about what you're asking for when you ask Obama to repeal "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".  Realize that it could open up a whole new can of worms that you thought wouldn't be opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment